Speaking of breakfast, Kirk bought me an oat groat flaker, which I tried out yesterday. It connects to the Bosch mixer. I made "old fashioned rolled oats" from some oat groats and then made it into oatmeal this morning. The oatmeal was slightly more chewy than oatmeal you make from the store-bought rolled oats. It reminded Kirk of cracked wheat, but of course it tasted like oatmeal--at least the way we make it with brown sugar and milk instead of water. This all makes me wonder if the companies don't take out some of the oat bran or something when they make the rolled oats. The background to all of this is that we are tired of having to throw away pounds of oatmeal that went rancid. So we bought 50 pounds of oat groats, thinking that maybe they will store longer. You can make "quick oats" by putting the flaked oats in a blender and chopping them up more finely.
Andrew always has something interesting to say!
ReplyDeleteHow interesting on the oat groat flaker. Where do you buy oats?
We bought the oat groats (they look sort of like wheat) at the Bosch Kitchen store near here. I think some of these health food type stores might have them, but I really haven't seen them very much.
ReplyDelete