Sunday, November 1, 2009

November (finally!)

October was a hard month. However, we have higher hopes for November. Lucy is a cute girl, even though she is starting her "2s" pretty early, i.e., hysterical screams if she is told "no" or doesn't get her own way.
She likes to play with shoes, though mostly my shoes and those of her brothers.
Edward is busy with Edward things. Right now he is going through his "Peter and the Wolf" stage. This is where he listens to the CD (Prokofiev, not Disney, version) all day every day. I think Andrew did this two or three years ago because they dressed up as Peter and the bird for Halloween. The other day, while we were listening to the CD, Andrew asked, "What's a 'dar force'?" It took me a minute, but then I told him that the narrator, Sean Connery, was from England and was trying to say, "dark forest," as in the wolf comes out of the dark forest.
Andrew made some puppets a while ago. Here he is showing off his Darth Vader and his Obe-Wan Kenobi puppets with their light sabers and everything. He did them all by himself--ideas and execution.
Andrew loves kindergarten. This past week we went to the Halloween Parade at the school. I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't 200+ parents and grandparents crammed in a gym to see their children in costume parade past. Andrew is next to his teacher, who is dressed as a witch.
I found out from his teacher that he had been telling everyone at school that he was going as a "map." It was a good thing I figured out a "map" costume for him (pajamas with maps sewed on them).
I even made a cape and put maps on that as well. He was thrilled.
All the children loved their costumes. Edward wanted to be a superhero, so he got, you guessed it, pajamas with an "E" (for Edward) and a cape. I'm glad Becky suggested using a pajama pattern for every possible costume. Lucy was a princess/ballerina/cute baby. The boys were playing one of their games and they made her be the "military princess." I guess they were "military people" fighting some war and she was the princess in the story.
We also carved pumpkins (a mad face, Darth Vader, and a happy face). The boys chose the pumpkins and the faces for them. Kirk and I got to carve them. I even tried making some donuts, and they turned out OK.

4 comments:

  1. Aha! Caroline was our shoe girl for quite a while. :)

    It's fun to see your cute kids and some of the fun things they've been doing. Good job on the costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A map costume is very creative, and the others are so fun to see too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Andrew's puppets. Your children have the brightest eyes and beautiful smiles. I'm glad you survived the Halloween parade. Depending on the school, they can be OK or pure torture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What cute costumes! My kids loved the map. And the others as well!

    ReplyDelete