I've been upset with the way Penzeys has been promoting their pet political projects (gay marriage, local Wisconsin issues, education, etc.) over the past few years, but things finally reached a breaking point when I went to place my order this last week. They have a big banner supporting gay marriage on their website. I can't bring myself to keep paying money to a company that has decided these political issues are more important than selling spices. So, I will no longer buy spices from them.
Here is the letter I mailed this week (in the regular mail):
16 September 2014
Dear Penzeys staff:
I was introduced to your company almost 20 years ago while I
was Ph.D. student in Madison. For years we have enjoyed your spices and mixes.
However, over the past few years, I save seen the catalog change from a decent
spice catalog to a magazine promoting what appear to be the company’s pet
political causes. If I were interested in a political magazine, I would
subscribe to one. Generally, though, I tried to ignore the political agenda and
just enjoy the herbs and spices. However, when I went online recently to do one
of my big orders, I saw that by ordering more spices from Penzeys, I would be
supporting gay marriage. As a Christian, I believe that God ordained marriage
between a man and a woman, and as His children, we do not have the authority to
change or modify His commandments or plan. Since you have chosen to set up your
company with this political agenda, I will be taking my business elsewhere. I will
also have to inform my family and friends that I do not buy spices from you any
more so they don’t get the wrong impression and think I support the same
political causes as you do. Please remove our address from your mailing list.
Regretfully,
etc.
I was wondering where to buy spices, but I have now found some other companies and will be trying them out. A few of them seem to be more "organic" and interested in "wellness," sustainable farming, aromatherapy, and stuff like that. However, sometimes I find it easier to ignore the "wellness" crowd's politics--especially since we have so many of them here in Utah--than the "promoting gay marriage" group, though some people would overlap. I guess I will just be careful and read their websites and catalogs to see if they are trying to sell a political position or alternative religion more than sell spices. Here are the companies I've found so far:
The Spice House (This is actually the original Penzeys family spice company, but the man on the phone said their catalog is just a catalog, not a magazine, and they have "the best spices." They are sending out a catalog to me today. Some of the prices seemed better than Penzeys, as well.)
Frontier Co-op (Some of these products are also available at stores like Whole Foods, Sprouts, etc.)
Mountain Rose Herbs (extreme organic, aromatherapy, tea, sustainability group, but possibly OK)
Monterey Bay Spice Co. (linked to the organic, essential oils group, has two kinds of cinnamon, possibly OK)
Starwest Botanicals (Older company, also selling organic, essential oils, and other stuff, but seems to have lots of spices)
If you have any suggestions or feedback on these or other companies, let me know.
I also located some companies that sell spice bottles that would match my spice cabinet.
These are probably pretty pricey (I just get a few ounces of what I need when I'm at the market) but you can check it out: http://www.marketspice.com/
ReplyDelete