Sunday, February 7, 2010

Happy V-Day

This year marks another first for me. It is the first time I've had to buy some cheap Valentine's Day cards for a child to take to school for a Valentine's Day party. I found out that the card manufacturers think children can't read or write, or that the word "Valentine's" is too long. The cards all say "Happy V-Day" in various forms.

However, I have a child who is quickly becoming proficient in his use of English. To wit:

Andrew started working on addressing the Valentine's Day cards for his class. The teacher had sent home a list of everyone in the class and he sat at the counter, carefully copying the names of the boys and girls and writing his own name. After a while he asked me, "How do you spell 'mean'?" I went over to look and he had started to write "m-e-a" in the "to" space on the card. "What are you doing?" I asked. Then I guessed, "Are you trying to write 'Mean Marcus'?" He was. I suggested that he go back to the original list and that he do the cards for Jacob and Harley; we would work on Marcus's card later. I also suggested that he needs to be nice to all the children in his class. After another card or two he quit for the day (we'll work on the rest this week). Later I was cleaning up his things and I took out the card with "mea" written on it. On the front he had crossed out "Happy" [V-Day] and written "sad" in its place. I guess I'm going to have to carefully censor his Valentine's Day cards before he takes them to school later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment