Monday, June 24, 2013

Mission blessings

[While we were on vacation in Washington state, my father-in-law asked me to give a talk in Sacrament Meeting on serving a mission. Here's a copy of the talk. I usually don't post things like this, but I thought it was appropriate since it was about blessings from serving a mission. 

Sunday morning we discovered that we couldn't print the talk, so Kirk loaded it on his iPad, and I just took the iPad up to the pulpit with me. However, when I started, the talk kept vanishing even when I hadn't touched any keys. I kept trying to get it back. Finally I said something like, "I'm getting some interference up here!" Kirk's sister's husband suddenly stood up and said to Kirk (a few rows in front of him), "Kirk, your boy is playing with the keyboard!" I had left the iPad's keyboard with Edward since he had been using the whole contraption as a surface for his drawing. I had neglected to turn off the keyboard, though the thought crossed my mind. Edward was happily punching keys and playing with the whole thing, making the talk vanish and different apps open and shut. Note to self: listen to the Spirit at all times. At least my brother-in-law saved me that time.]


Blessings of serving a mission
9 June 2013

            When I was serving a mission in Santiago, Chile, one afternoon my companion and I went to visit an investigator, Tina. When we arrived at her house, she wasn’t home, but members of her family invited us to come inside and wait for her. While we waited, two men came into the room. I decided I didn’t like the situation and turned to my companion. Without a word, we both stood up and left the house. As we were walking down the street, my companion said, “The Spirit said to me very loudly, ‘Leave the house right now!’” I thought, “I didn’t hear the Spirit say any words. I just felt like we should leave.” This was the first of many experiences I had on my mission that taught me more about the Holy Ghost. Some people will hear a voice, like my companion did, while more often, we will have a feeling that will guide us in the right way.
            Many years later, when my boy Henry was about a year old, I was folding laundry while Henry was playing on the floor next to me. Suddenly I thought, “I should look down and see what he is doing.” When I looked, I noticed he had something in each of his hands, so I opened them out and saw there were tiny, round batteries. The toy had space for three batteries, and I only found two. He had swallowed one and the X-ray showed it sitting in his stomach. Thankfully, everything turned out OK after a day or two of worry. I knew that once again, the Spirit had directed my actions.
            I have received many blessings in my life that can be traced to my service as a full-time missionary. One great blessing was that I learned better how to recognize the quiet promptings of the Holy Ghost.

            As our leaders have reminded us in recent General Conferences, we are under the same mandate that Jesus gave to his apostles anciently: “Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost” (Matt 28:19).
Last October, President Monson made the amazing announcement about the change in ages for missionaries. He said,
“As we have prayerfully pondered the age at which young men may begin their missionary service, we have also given consideration to the age at which a young woman might serve. Today I am pleased to announce that able, worthy young women who have the desire to serve may be recommended for missionary service beginning at age 19, instead of age 21.
“We affirm that missionary work is a priesthood duty—and we encourage all young men who are worthy and who are physically able and mentally capable to respond to the call to serve. Many young women also serve, but they are not under the same mandate to serve as are the young men. We assure the young sisters of the Church, however, that they make a valuable contribution as missionaries, and we welcome their service.”
Since we live near BYU and have contact with many young people, it has been gratifying to see the excitement among so many—especially the young women—for the opportunity to serve a mission in the near future. One young woman in our ward is leaving for her mission in a few weeks. She said she can’t wait to share the happiness she has found in the gospel with the people she will soon meet in Boston.

The preparation for a mission starts long before you are set apart as a missionary and put on your name tag.
Perhaps the most important thing you can do to prepare for a mission is to prepare to go to the temple. This is something every member of the church can do, whether or not the opportunity for a full-time mission comes.
In the Book of Mormon, Nephi explains why Christ was baptized. He then asks, “After ye have gotten into this strait and narrow path [of baptism], I would ask if all is done? Behold, I say unto you, Nay” (2 Nephi 31:19). He then explains some of the things that must be done after baptism. “Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life” (2 Nephi 31:20).
One of the sad things we saw as missionaries in Chile was the large number of people who got baptized, but then did not continue on the path. Some of them would even attend church regularly, but never made the effort to prepare themselves to go to the temple. In Santiago, the people did not even have to travel far, since the temple was located right in that city. In contrast, I had missionary companions from various areas in Chile that made great sacrifices and traveled for almost 1,000 miles in order to attend the temple.
The preparation to attend the temple includes strengthening your testimony of the gospel; keeping the commandments; attending church meetings, seminary, and religion classes; readings the scriptures regularly; and praying daily.
A second important thing in preparing for a mission is your desire. In D&C 4: 3 the Lord says, “Therefore, if ye have desires to serve God ye are called to the work.” Some of my friends who served missions had specific spiritual experiences that told them a mission was right; others, including myself, just had the desire to serve and were willing to arrange school and work so we could be a full-time missionary.
There are many other forms of practical preparation as well. In my life, I learned how to study and work hard; I went away to college and learned to live more independently; I served in many church callings; and I worked and saved money.

            As President Monson said, women are not under the same obligation as men to serve missions. Of the five girls in my family, two of us were able to serve missions and then later had the opportunity to get married. The other three sisters had the blessing of meeting wonderful returned missionary men and getting married in the temple before they were old enough to serve a mission. They look forward to serving missions with their husbands later in life. However, all of the siblings were prepared for missions—we were all prepared to go to the temple.
            Many female members of my family and friends had the opportunity to serve missions. Without exception, they point to many blessings they have received in their lives from their missionary service.
            One cousin wrote to me and said, “I believe I already had a strong testimony and understanding of the gospel through [Young Women], church and seminary prior to my mission—so I was prepared—however I truly believe my mission laid a foundation for the rest of my life—for the friends I would make, the decisions I would face and the husband I would find and hopefully how we, together as return missionaries, will raise our family. I love that I share that experience with my husband! It also is the foundation for how I do my callings and how I live my religion.”
            A friend said, “[A mission] has helped me to gain confidence in myself as someone who can stand up for what is right, as well be firm in what I believe. It has helped me to appreciate the miracle of conversion and recognize the importance of really teaching my children the gospel so that they can have the strength to stand for what they believe. It has helped me to think of others in a more Christ-like way and try to reach out to others.”
            Another cousin said, “I cannot count the blessings that I have seen in my life from serving a mission. I have witnessed the Lord’s hand in my life every day because I was willing to put myself in His service. One blessing that I continually notice is that I am more willing to listen to the still small voice of the Spirit because I know miracles happen daily. Another is the wonderful blessing of seeing people recognizing the light of Christ. Having been a missionary, it was a joy and a moment of awe when I saw others realizing truth and getting testimony through the Spirit and the light of Christ. There is something sacred to be said of witnessing that kind of spiritual growth. These two blessings go hand-in-hand many times. Now as a mother, I strive to heed the counsel of the Spirit and set the example so that my son can recognize the truth as well.”

            I know that my life has been dramatically shaped and blessed by my missionary service in Santiago, Chile. I would be impossible to list all of the blessings here. I know our Heavenly Father loves us. Jesus is the Savior of the world. The atonement is real and we can change and be forgiven. I have seen people change, and have changed myself. I know Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. Every single time I told other people about the First Vision while on my mission, the Holy Ghost witnessed to me that it was true. I know The Church of Jesus Christ ofLatter-day Saints is Jesus’ restored church on the earth, and that we have the priesthood authority and a prophet to guide us today. I know that we must continue in the path that we start with baptism, and that path leads us to the temple where we can receive incredible, eternal blessings and be sealed together as families. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your talk! What a great lesson and testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice job! i'm glad it went so well and that you got the keyboard/ipad thing figured out!

    ReplyDelete