Thursday, March 14, 2013
Stress
We had been warned before we got to Vienna that the woman who lives below the apartment where we are runs a massage/relaxation clinic in her apartment. However, the family here last year said they held classes in the apartment and had four kids and never heard any complaints from her. Four days after we got here, the woman came up and--very nicely--told us that our children were shattering the nerves of her patients. Great. How in the world do I keep my four children quiet? They aren't quiet.
We set some guidelines: no screaming, no slamming doors and knocking plaster off the walls, and no leaping off furniture. They get rewards for following the guidelines. Every day I've been trying to take them outside to see something and play in one of the many parks. We went to a robot museum in the morning, but this afternoon we were at home and it started to get rough. We have a winter storm blowing through Vienna right now and it is below freezing with strong winds and snow. It is cold and we would rather stay where it is warm. I guess I'll try snowsuits on them tomorrow and hope it warms up quickly.
My next apartment is going to be a stand-alone house with about an acre of land around it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The people who lived below us in our last apartment didn't have any kids and they knocked on our ceiling all the time because of our noise. I honestly don't think the noise was unreasonable most of the time considering we live in family housing. But I hated that I had to hold my breath every time Kevin decided to jump or run around, and we did start to have rather bitter feelings towards the downstairs neighbors. That is one of the main reasons we moved to our current apartment, where the downstairs neighbors are the cars and they don't care about the noise. It has been very liberating. Hope it works out okay. I know it can be pretty stressful.
ReplyDeleteShe is running a relaxation clinic in her apartment? If she wants a protected peaceful space, an apartment may not be the best choice for a clinic. I know you need to keep neighbors happy, but at the same time, I would be inclined to tell her "I'm sorry, I am running a family in my apartment and your patients are shattering the nerves of the parents." I hope you get good park weather!
ReplyDelete