Sunday, October 17, 2010

In Survival Mode

I just realized that it has been months since I last wrote anything here. We are in survival mode. The closer it comes to the baby's arrival, the more incapacitated I seem to be. Since we are supposed to find "nobility in motherhood" or something like that, probably the less I say, the better.

In September, Andrew started first grade. He loves school, but hasn't learned anything. I have him doing all the book reading challenges at school (the ones where the students get all year to read some "extra" books, but Andrew finishes the required number of pages in about two weeks--we'll see how many he will do by the end of the year since you can "repeat" the challenges and get an award after each time). At the end of September, Kirk went to Venezuela to see the elections, then to DC to tell the government about the elections. The first week in October he went to Toronto for an academic conference. He is now trying to catch up with everything. Edward and Lucy are very patient considering their main activities are "playing" and "quiet time."

We--well, an aborist--chopped down about 12 very large trees (40-50 feet high?) and about that many smaller (only 15-foot high?) volunteer trees on our property. We still have left 6 huge trees, a few small fruit trees, and lots of overgrown miscellaneous plants. Considering we live on less than a 1/4 acre, you can get an idea of how overgrown our lot was, and still, is. We paid a landscaper to come and do a new design for the yard. If we generally follow the plan, our yard should look great in about 10 years when we "finish" it.

At some point we may emerge from survival mode.

No comments:

Post a Comment